Summer Mathematics Fun!

This blog has been created as part of my class requirements for Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers I & II. I am currently enrolled in the DLite Program through Bemidji State University and am working towards my K-6 Elementary Education and Special Education license.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Weeks One and Two...

Math 1510: I have learned that it is a must to pay attention to terminology.  I think in my previous years as a math student I simply figured out how to get the answer, but did not pay attention to the details. I have a new mind-set when it comes to Mathematics.

*A Problem is a situation for which the following conditions exist:
     a. It involves a question that represents a challenge for the individual.
     b. The question cannot be answered immediately by some routine procedures known to the individual.
     c. The individual accepts the challenge.

With that said, the problem solving method is essential to being successful.  Even though the approach seems basic I feel it is essential to teach and have students understand this information in order to be successful in math.

Sorry that it appears this video was shot during an earthquake!  This is a simple restatement of how to simplify every problem in order to keep from being overwhelmed with information. 

*Sets and Order.....remembering that everything has a proper place that it belongs, in order to              correctly solve the problem.

I was reminded of the basics of mathematics such as what is involved in a set and the relationships that a set may possess.  Also, using the inverse operations of addition and subtraction or multiplication and division to solve the same problems and double-check my answers.
                          -(-)=+
Math 1512: Week one left me frustrated and confused.  I am still looking for the magic little trick to figure out compound interest.  I find myself reciting the formula to solving the problem, yet I fail each time when trying to use it....I will figure this out!  I did find a great compound interest calculator that has walked me through some of the steps.  I do know this is an easy way out, and I really will master the proper way to calculate the interest on my own but it is a great way to double check answers.
Compound Interest Calculator
I was successful with figuring percents, ratios and proportions and loved thinking and solving for real world situations.  I made sure that I pointed out to my oldest daughter that her mothers clearance shopping habits can be easily calculated and proven just how much looking for those little orange tags or red signs can save!
During week two I found myself doing a happy dance on several occasions to celebrate my successes.  I am definitely a visual learner so using charts and graphs to display information is very beneficial for me.  I must admit that while I was thoroughly intimidated at first by variance and standard deviation I gained a true liking for them.  Again it was proof that one step at a time will prove to be successful!

-Finding variance of the set scores: 
 *step 1: Find the mean of the set of #'s
  *step 2: For each # in the set of numbers, calculate the deviation of that # from the mean
  *step 3: Square all the deviation scores obtained in step 2
  *step 4: Find the arithmetic mean of the squared deviation scores calculated in step 3


-Standard Deviation:  Square root of the variance

No comments:

Post a Comment