Summer Mathematics Fun!

This blog has been created as part of my class requirements for Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers I & II. I am currently enrolled in the DLite Program through Bemidji State University and am working towards my K-6 Elementary Education and Special Education license.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Math 1512

Gee, I'm a Tree!   
I was thoroughly intimidated when I opened my book to chapter 10 and saw the title: Introducing Geometry.  I took a deep breath and thought, it's only an "introduction" you will be fine....ha!  The proper terminology and definitions have completely clogged my brain.  I am trying to figure out tricks to correctly sort all of my new "proper" information. 

I really appreciated the video about the elementary students that were putting their geometry knowledge to use outside of the classroom and were building the set for the school musical.  I firmly believe that a student who puts their skills to work in a real world application will retain the knowledge instead of just memorizing what they need to for the moment and then forgetting it.  The Common Core State Standards Initiative website contained some great information.  I agree with their efforts to provide a "clear and consistent framework to prepare our children for college and the workforce." 

I can honestly say that the different types of polygons are completely new knowledge to me.  Yes, I was aware of the 3-8 sided polygons, but did not know of the others.  I am still working through a lot of the work for this week and am appreciating the new knowledge.  So with that said, it's time to take a little break and enjoy some Geometry "entertainment!" 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment