Summer Mathematics Fun!

This blog has been created as part of my class requirements for Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers I & II. I am currently enrolled in the DLite Program through Bemidji State University and am working towards my K-6 Elementary Education and Special Education license.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Lattice Multiplication (Math 1510)

Lattice Multiplication-
There has not been very many times during this class that I felt I had bragging rights, but after mastering lattice multiplication I was like a 10 year old who just bought the coolest new iPod!
We were actually camping with a group of friends, and I was the super cool friend that was in the camper working on homework.  I had frequent visitors requesting my presence at the campfire, but knowing the chapter deadline was quickly approaching I was determined to accomplish some school work.  When I had the ahhhhhaaaa! moment with Lattice Multiplication I emerged and challenged the others.  Keep in mind this was a group of construction workers, police officers, social workers, business owners....all of whom work with numbers on a relatively frequent basis and are only in their early 30’s.  I handed them all a piece of paper and a pen, and we began.....yes, there were a lot of laughs and about 15 minutes later they had all successfully completed their first Lattice Multiplication!  Of course there was a deep conversation as to why this method would be taught, and “what is wrong with learning multiplication the way we did?”  I explained the importance of teaching in various methods in order to accommodate various learning styles.  I have since worked with my older two children on this method and a few of my sisters, I enjoy exposing others to something new.



This information was found at: Cool Math 4 Kids

Lattice Multiplication
  A fun and easy way to multiply bigger numbers (page 1 of 4)
Your browser does not support the IFRAME tag.
math image
Your browser does not support the IFRAME tag.
Your browser does not support the IFRAME tag.
This is a really cool method for multiplying bigger numbers.  It's a lot easier than the regular way and it's kind of fun too. Before I show you the whole thing, I need to show you how to do some smaller stuff first...
We're going to multiply easy numbers from our times tables, but we're going to put our answers in special boxes.
Here's the box...  It's got a spot for tens and a spot for ones:
lattice multiplication box
When we look at a number, remember...
2 x 7 = 14
So, we'll put the 1 (the tens digit) in the top spot and the 4 (the ones digit) in the bottom spot

What do we do when our answer is just a single digit?
lattice multiplition work for 2 x 4 = 8
We'll just be doing this multiplication box over and over again...  Then, we'll do a little easy addition and we'll get our answer!
OK, let's start doing one:
14 x 56
Set it up like this:
lattice multiplication grid for 14 x 56
First, we do 1 x 5
 
lattice multiplication work for 1 x 5 = 5

Then, we do 4 x 5 lattice multiplication work for 4 x 5 = 20

Then, we do 1 x 6 lattice multiplication work for 1 x 6 = 6

Then, the last one: 4 x 6 lattice multiplication work for 4 x 6 = 24

Now, just add down the diagonal stripes...  Start at the bottom and work your way up the stripes:
lattice multiplication work for 14 x 56 lattice multiplication work for 14 x 56

We get our answer
by reading down
the left side and
across the bottom. 
(Just ignore the
first zero!)
lattice multiplication work for 14 x 56
2 x 7 = 14  in lattice box 
This YouTube Video also gives great step by step directions on Lattice Multiplication:
While some times it is scary to try something "out of the normal," I think this method will be very helpful for many students...and Fun too!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment