Summer Mathematics Fun!

This blog has been created as part of my class requirements for Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers I & II. I am currently enrolled in the DLite Program through Bemidji State University and am working towards my K-6 Elementary Education and Special Education license.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fractions, put to use! (Math 1510)

My oldest daughter is 10 and in so many ways takes after her mother, which at times is quite scary.  We share a love of cooking.  I thought at first this common interest would be wonderful, but so far it has been quite a patience tester for this momma.  I have been cooking for about 25 years.  I am the oldest of 9 siblings and my mother absolutely despises the kitchen.  As soon as I was old enough to follow her directions, I was responsible for cooking.  It did not take long and I was creating my own "masterpieces" to share at the family table.  I have to remind myself often (like every 7 1/2 seconds! ) that my daughter is LEARNING.  It is going to take time for her to do things quickly and without the kitchen looking like a tornado went through it.  To get into the fractions lesson here, the other day I decided that we were going to make my grandmothers Lumberjack Molasses Cookies.  My children and I love these cookies.  My grandmother has been healing in a nursing home for almost 7 months now and we are planning a visit to southern Minnesota soon to visit, so I knew she would appreciate having this treat brought to her.  On a side note, these cookies freeze very well!  We started by measuring out the amount of molasses that I had in the cupboard and Aubrie (my daughter) said, "just a little more than 1 1/2 cups."  Great....this means we could make 1 1/2 bathes of these cookies.  Knowing this is what I wanted to do, I gave her the recipe and asked her to figure out the amounts for the rest of the ingredients to make 1 1/2 batches.

*The original recipe reads: 
2c. white sugar                      1tsp. salt
1c. shortening                        2tsp. cinnamon
1c. molasses                          2tsp. ginger
1c. sour cream                      1/2tsp. cloves
2tsp. baking soda                  6c. flour
2 beaten eggs
Mix as for a cake, refrigerate over night, roll out, cut, bake- 350° for 12-15 minutes
Lumberjack Frosting:
2 1/4 cups Powered Sugar, add 2 unbeaten egg whites and whip for 3 minutes.  While beating add 1/4 tsp. Cream of tarter and 1tsp. vanilla.  Beat for 3 or 4 more minutes.  Frost cooled cookies.

At first my daughter's solution to figuring out measurements was to only fill the measuring cups and spoons that she had used, 1/2 full this time.  While this is a creative solution, I explained that simply guessing what seems to be 1/2 full would not be exact enough and her cookies would probably not work out.  So we sat down together and started multiplying our measurements by 1/2 so that we would know exactly how much we needed of each ingredient.

Our multiplication of fractions began:
2c. sugar.... “easy mom, 1/2 of that is 1c”.....ok, no fraction needed :) (3c.)
1c. shortening..... “half of that is 1/2c.” (1 1/2c.)
1c. molasses....... “half of that is 1/2c.” (1 1/2c.)
1c. sour cream..... “half of that is also 1/2c.” (1 1/2c.)
2tsp. soda..... “half of that would be 1tsp.” (3tsp.)
2 beaten eggs.... “so, we need 1 more egg” (3 eggs)
1tsp salt........ “plus another 1/2 tsp” (1 1/2tsp.)
2tsp cinnamon..... “and another 1tsp.” (3 tsp.)
2tsp ginger..... “plus 1tsp.” (3tsp.)
1/2 tsp cloves..... “half of a half”.....ok, lets figure this one out.
  *We divided using the common denominator method.  We lucked out that our denominators were alike...  1/2 ÷ 1/2= 1/4....ok, so we need 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp,
finding a common denominator and then adding is the plan this time too!
1/2 + 1/4= 1/2 becomes 2/4 + 1/4= 3/4 , we need (3/4tsp.)
6c. flour.... “half of 6 is 3, 6+3=9” (9cups)

Frosting:
2 1/4c. Powered sugar....”well half of 2 is 1” and “half of 1/4....hmmmmm?”
again we will multiply using common denominators.  1/4 x1/2= 1x1=1, 4x2=8, = 1/8, so we need 2 1/4c. plus 1 1/8 cup....with the complexity of adding these two fractions we just left it at this, she added 3c+1/4c+ 1/8c. of powered sugar to the bowl (3c+1/4c+1/8c)
2 unbeaten egg whites “plus one more white”
1/4 tsp. Cream of Tarter “ugh, another 1/4? well half of 1/4 is 1/8”  * she did the same thing this time that she did with the powered sugar, (1/4tsp + 1/8tsp)
1tsp. vanilla “and another 1/2” (1 1/2 tsp.)

This entire process of converting took us a while, but I feel like she truly understood the method behind properly figuring out the halves. 

The cookies were then mixed and refrigerated, the next day baked, frosted and enjoyed them!! And....the half-batch we made is stored in the freezer for our special visit with Grandma next week!
 
                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment